REGIONAL INITIATIVES COORDINATOR
Firelight Media is a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing emerging documentary filmmakers who tell stories about people, places, cultures, and issues that are underrepresented in the mainstream media, and to developing audiences for their work. Firelight Media’s key programs include the Documentary Lab, a flagship mentorship program that seeks out and supports emerging filmmakers of color.
Our sister organization, Firelight Films, is award-winning filmmaker Stanley Nelson’s production company. Recent projects include: Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre for the History Channel, Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy for Netflix, and Attica for Showtime. Firelight Films is currently in production on a number of additional films, including a four-part series Creating The New World on the transatlantic slave trade.
REGIONAL INITIATIVES COORDINATOR
The Regional Initiatives Coordinator supports the day-to-day operations of the Regional Initiatives programs and will work closely with the Director of Regional Initiatives. This role will be a key point of contact for program, communications, and logistical matters for the Groundwork Regional Lab and the HOMEGROWN shorts commissions. This key position ensures the efficiency of program logistics, communications, and external relations.
PROGRAM COORDINATION & LOGISTICS: 60%
- Support the day-to-day coordination and reporting of processes related to filmmaker recruitment, intake, assessment, work plan and skills development, and mentor assignment
- Schedule and organize logistics for programmatic activities, meetings, travel and conferences, for internal and external purposes
- Maintain program calendar and timelines for all Regional Initiatives programs
- Provide administrative assistance to the Director and support maintenance of meeting calendar
- Maintain Groundwork Regional Lab listserv
- Create and maintain multiple databases
- Liaise with Supervising Producer, HOMEGROWN filmmakers, and mentors
- Liaise with Finance department to manage invoices and confirm payments
- Organize events (virtual and in-person) including four-day Groundwork labs and monthly check-ins with HOMEGROWN filmmakers
COMMUNICATIONS & EXTERNAL RELATIONS: 40%
- Liaise with fellows to document key accomplishments, including funding, press, screenings, and broadcasts
- Work with the Communications department and Firelight Media coordinators to ensure that social media platforms are sharing and promoting Regional Initiatives news and updates
- Develop a calendar of key national and local events in the independent film and public media field, including film festivals, forums, markets, and conferences
- Ensure that all Firelight Media and Firelight Films staff remain informed of Regional Initiatives activities
- Support partnership cultivation
- Facilitate partnership meetings and create agendas
- 15-20 travel days per year
To thrive in this job you must be energetic and eager to discover and invent solutions to challenges faced with our Regional Initiatives.
- Possess strong program coordination and communications skills, along with administrative experience
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail, ability to multitask under short deadlines along with being versatile and flexible
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills in addition to excellent writing skills
- Proficient working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Workspace, and Submittable
- Possess good judgment, patience and even temperament, quick responsiveness, as well as a sense of humor
- Personal alignment with the mission and goals of the organization is essential
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Prior work in the arts, independent film, public media, social justice, or other not-for-profit organizations is a plus
- Knowledge of Photoshop, WordPress ,and Social Media tools a plus
- Ability to thrive in a small but growing organization
Position: Regional Initiatives Coordinator
Salary Range: $55,000-$65,000, Dependent on Experience
Benefits: A comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include 100% employer-paid health insurance; 20 vacation days accrued annually; a 403b retirement plan with employer matching and one-year vesting period; reimbursable gym membership through the employer health care plan; flexible spending accounts for transit and healthcare; and professional development
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible
Apply By: December 15th, 2021
Interested candidates should forward resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please be sure to put: “Regional Initiatives Coordinator (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME)”in the subject line.
Firelight Media is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.