production ACCOUNTANT (part-time)
Firelight Films was born almost two decades ago to address the deficit of films made by and about diverse communities, particularly people of color. Founded and led by MacArthur “genius” Fellow Stanley Nelson and award-winning writer and philanthropy executive Marcia Smith in Harlem, NY, the organization has gone on to produce over 25 hours of primetime programming for public television, receive every major broadcast award, and have its first theatrical release (The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution).
Best known for producing high-quality powerful productions for PBS and creating dynamic community engagement campaigns, Firelight is committed to making films about pivotal events, movements, and people in American history and in doing so has produced a number of award-winning films including Freedom Riders, Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple, The Murder of Emmett Till, A Place of Our Own, and Freedom Summer.
Recent projects include: Starbucks Bias Training Video, Birth of The Cool: Miles Davis, BOSS: The Black Experience in Business, The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution, Through The Fire: The Legacy of Barack Obama, and Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities. We are currently in production for a film on the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
Firelight Films’ is looking for a part time Production Accountant to join our small but dynamic team. We’re seeking an accountant or experienced bookkeeper who is personable, communicative, intuitive, and process oriented, with great attention to detail. Your primary goal will be to provide support to the Finance & Operations Manager by executing finance related duties and tasks.
The responsibilities of this position includes:
● Supporting payroll and HR functions
● Ability to research & resolve account discrepancies.
● Processing vendor invoices and payments, while also generating and submitting billing invoices
● Assisting staff, intern and crew with reimbursements, petty cash and Metrocards
● Perform monthly bank reconciliations for all project accounts
● Post and process journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
● Assist in the month-end process by ensuring accuracy and analysis of data
● Basic filing of vendor invoices and deposit records
● Review and verify invoices and check requests
● Ensuring bills are paid timely and in the correct amount
● Process weekly and monthly financial reports across projects
● Reconciling credit card transactions and receipt management
● Assisting with insurance requests and certificates
● Preparing 1099s and making quarterly and annual tax filings and payments
● Cross-checking production and overhead expenditures in budget tracking spreadsheets
● Degree in accounting, finance or relevant field, plus two years of related experience in production
● Solid verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to excel in situations that require juggling multiple projects and deadlines
● Understanding of accounting rules and regulations
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel, QuickBooks, Google while being extremely computer savvy
● Excellent organizational and time-management skills
● Superior attention to detail, with an ability to spot numerical errors
● High energy, positive vibes and a great attitude are key
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to put “Production Accountant” in the subject line.
Firelight Media is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.