FINANCE & OPERATIONS assistant (PART-time)
Firelight Media is a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing emerging documentary filmmakers who tell stories about people, places, cultures and issues that are underrepresented in the mainstream media, and to developing audiences for their work. Firelight’s key programs include the Documentary Lab, a flagship mentorship program that seeks out and develops emerging diverse filmmakers, and the Impact & Engagement Lab, which harnesses the power of documentaries to educate, motivate and inspire diverse audiences through strategic partnerships, powerful events, online engagement and training for organizers.
Our sister organization, Firelight Films, is award-winning filmmaker Stanley Nelson’s film production company. Recent projects include: The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution, Through The Fire: The Legacy of Barack Obama, and Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities. We are currently in production for a film on the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
Firelight Media is looking for a Finance and Operations Assistant to provide support to the financial department with day-to-day tasks such as, processing payments, collecting time-sheets, managing invoices and other accounting tasks across the organization. The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the department by working to maintain order and transparency for the organization’s finances. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail.
The responsibilities of this position includes:
● Posting daily transactions in QuickBooks, and updating financial spreadsheets
● Supporting payroll and HR functions
● Recording and updating accounts payable and accounts receivable
● Creating, sending, processing and following-up on invoices with clients, suppliers and partners as needed
● Assisting staff and interns with reimbursements, petty cash and Metrocards
● Verifying daily credit card transactions/reports against merchant and receipts.
● Assist with financial reporting across projects and departments
● Posting and processing journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
● Degree in accounting, finance or relevant field, plus two years of related experience
● Solid verbal and written communication skills
● Good with numbers, figures and an analytical acumen
● Understanding of accounting rules and regulations
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel, QuickBooks, Google and computer savvy
● Excellent organizational and time-management skills
● Superior attention to detail, with an ability to spot numerical errors
● Experience working in nonprofit environment is preferred
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, and resume to: email@example.com. Please be sure to put “Finance & Operations Assistant” in the subject line.
Firelight Media is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.